South Coast Tour
- Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss waterfalls
- Solheimajökull glacier
- Reynisfjara shore and black sand beach
- Dýrholaey puffins’ cliffs (mid-summer)
- Vík village and sea stacks
Pickup time: 8:30 - 9:00 am
Duration: ca 10 hrs
DESCRIPTION:Take a guided tour on a minibus to explore waterfalls, black sand beaches, and glaciers of Iceland's South Coast. This tour should not be missed by any who want to enjoy the essentials of Icelandic sightseeing.
You will be picked up from Reykjavik in the morning by your friendly, experienced guide, and start your adventures. A small group of guests will travel in the minibus, guaranteeing that on this excursion, your experience will be comfortable and personal.
One of your first stops will be at Seljalandsfoss Waterfall. This falls, which is over sixty metres tall, tumbles from a cliff that curves inwards; this means when there is no ice on the ground you can walk behind it, allowing for some excellent photographs.
Skogafoss waterfall is next on your list, just down the route. Though as tall as Seljalandsfoss, it is many times wider and much more powerful; the scale of it is incredibly impressive, especially considering the amount of spray rising as the water smashes against the rocks below. You can walk as close to the waterfall as you dare.
If the weather is clear, you’ll be able to see Eyjafjallajokull, the famous glacier and volcano that erupted in 2010.
You will also travel to Solheimajokull. This fascinating glacier tongue stretches from the greater ice cap Myrdalsjokull, which covers the volcano Katla, the eruptions of which are even bigger than Eyjafjallajokull's. It is about 15 min walk from the parking lot to a good viewpoint to admire the glacier.
The next destination on your list is Reynisfjara black sand beach. This stretch of coastline is renowned for its beauty, eeriness, and dramatic geology. Another very photogenic place with many hexagonal basalt columns. In summer, you may spot puffins up on the cliffs.
The furthest stop on this tour is Vik - the southernmost village of Iceland. When you walk down the beach, you will be amazed by the sea stacks. Legend has it that the stack is in fact made up of the frozen figures of trolls who were turned to stone while playing in the sea.
With all these features packed into a single day, you will return to your minibus and be whisked back to Reykjavík.
Don’t miss this opportunity to witness the sites of the South Coast in a comfort of a small group.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Difficulty: Very easy|
What is included
- Pickup and drop-off from designated bus stops and hotels
- Professional and local driver/guide
- Live commentary on board
- Small-group tour (tour operated exclusively on minibuses with a maximum of 19 passengers)
- Outdoor clothes, preferably the wind and waterproof, solid shoes
- Gateway to Iceland reserves the right to delay, alter or cancel any tour due to weather or any other unsafe conditions for the safety of our clients. All departures require a minimum number of participants in order to operate; 4 adults.